Tuesday 23 September 2014

Cigar box guitars

A new project on the bench, 4 cigar box guitars. All of the same dimensions, 25" scale length, same size bodies, all 5 splices neck maple / mahogany / oak. The body woods will vary, I have lined up some walnut, mahogany, purple heart and oak. All to be 3 strings, probably 2 resonators and all will have a pick up on the neck position. Neck through and strings through body, medium frets "not sure about how many as yet". It's my first time on this kind of instrument. I very much look forward to this :)
The splices for the 4 necks are all cut and planed, ready to glue today.
The first is done. A prototype really and I will keep it for my self. Body bubinga and oak, fretboard bubinga with 22 jumbo frets, steel nut and bridge saddle. The pick up is from a Hoffner Galaxy 1964 which I've re cased in brass, that helps with the vintage sound tipical of this instruments. It plays brilliant and sound the part. Now I'll build the other 3 simultaneously. Not sure of timber choice but oak and pine will probably be top choices














No comments:

Post a Comment